Updated: May 11
I dare you to feed this to someone that says they dislike tofu or that it scares them...
99% of the time tofu has a bad reputation because it hasn't been prepared nicely. It is known unfairly so as a bland type of food when in fact it is versatile and soaks up any flavour you choose nicely.
For beginners this recipe is a nice way to add flavour to your tofu to spice up any meal.
YOU WILL NEED:
375g organic plain firm tofu sliced thinly (this should make about 14 slices)
1 tsp sesame seeds
Olive oil (I love cobra estate garlic infused olive oil)
A splash of sesame oil
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp powdered cardamom
1/2 tsp powdered turmeric
1. Heat olive oil in frypan
2. While oil is heating mix sesame seeds and spices together in a bowl along with salt and pepper if you desire. Press tofu with paper towel to remove moisture. Thinly slice tofu.
3. Lay tofu in oil and sprinkle each slice with a small amount of sesame oil.
4. Top each slice with spice and sesame seed mix.
5. Fry bottom side until brown, then flip the tofu with tongs.
6. When tofu is flipped ensure each slice is moved around in the oil so that the seasoning doesn't burn to the bottom of the fry pan.
7. Fry to desired golden brown colour.
Note: how thinly you slice your tofu will depict how crunchy the end result is. This just depends on personal preference.
On the top of your favourite salad. This tofu is amazing with avocado, hot sauce or hummus.